Sunday, June 9, 2013

when life throws you curves.

a few short yet long months ago, I had a career, and life plan. in one phone call my life was forever changed. in one phone call my goals changed. no longer thinking about promotions, or pay raises. in one phone call my life became for my children. for my son, in one phone call my goal became saving my little boys life. my whole sense of importance turned to, what we need to do, to keep this little guy in my life, in dads life, in his sisters life. within 24 hours of that phone call, a power port was surgically placed in korbyns chest, direct route, to his heart, 2 rounds of chemo, a spinal tap, and a bone marrow biopsy. at that time I didn't even know much about the diagnosis.

most children with classification of lymphoblastic leukemia, reach clinical remission early on in treatment, but with any acute diagnosis, you have to keep at it, or it comes back and with a vengeance.
we have been trying to reach clinical remission now, for twice as long, as it typically takes. concerns yes. I know the ratios, and percentages, I know the longer it takes to get the leukemic blasts below a certain percentage, other statistical percentages decrease.
a friend reminded me, korbyn is not a statistic, and those numbers are made to be broken. if this boy, is anything line his mother, and scary enough he is the miniature male version of his mother, he is strong willed. he may have his moments of down times, but he is a fighter.

my life changed from dreams that he was going to be a dr. a lawyer, a race car driver. etc. and he may still very well be, but my dreams now consist of just thanking god for today, and praying for a tomorrow, a next week, a next month, a next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment